Well, it sounds like we might be having these babies no later than next Friday, May 22nd, the day I turn 36 weeks pregnant. Today’s routine ultrasound revealed that Baby A’s two-vessel cord is beginning to cause an issue with her growth. Weighing in today at a mere 3 lbs. 14 oz. and measuring closer to the size of a 30-week baby than a 34-week baby, she is now being classified as having intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR). Although she is still growing and otherwise healthy, it is clear that her rate of growth is beginning to slow. As a result, the perinatologist who reads our ultrasounds is recommending that we not push this pregnancy past 36 weeks with the thinking that Baby A will be able to grow better outside the womb than in and that we will be eliminating the risk of the restricted growth getting worse. The perinatologist did express that it would be preferable for my body to naturally end this pregnancy by spontaneously going into labor before next Friday (which is my fervent prayer!) than to end up in a planned cesarean on that day, but she also expressed some doubt of that happening due to the fact that my body has previously endured both a 40 week 6 day pregnancy and a 39 week 4 day pregnancy.
I think I took all of this somewhat disappointing news pretty well, but the tears started coming when we started talking dates. The doctor compassionately asked if I was scared of my babies being born too early, and I nodded yes before adding that much of my emotion was also coming from my deep desire for a natural childbirth. Despite my momentary disappointment, I know that God is the same no matter what, and I know that nothing is impossible for Him; and I am greatly comforted by these promises as I prayerfully wait to see how this story will end.
In the meantime, my instructions are to rest (to enhance blood flow to the babies), to put a little extra protein in my diet (to enhance growth of the babies), and to go back for bi-weekly NSTs (to monitor the well-being of the babies). I am fervently praying that God would keep both of our babies in good health until the time of their birth and that He would even miraculously enable Baby A to have a growth spurt in the next week and a half. Whatever happens, may He be glorified to the utmost!