A shortage of groceries and a lack of planning can often times be a recipe for mealtime disaster… you know, of the kind where the kids are begging for something to eat, Mommy is stressed and feeling inadequate, and Daddy will soon be welcomed home with the words, “So what do you think about ordering pizza tonight?…”
But sometimes, I’ve found, that same shortage of groceries and lack of planning can force the creativity that results in a mealtime masterpiece. Let’s face it. Some of us just aren’t inclined to experiment in the kitchen unless we have to. (Or is that just me?…)
Two of my most recent (forced, but successful) experiments were both based on a staple I usually don’t run out of: Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Tortillas. I’d love to share these ideas for quick, easy, last-minute meals with you (in hopes you’ll return the favor in the comments below! We can all use a little help to get out of a pinch, right?).
1. Mozzerella Quesadilla
Usually I make my quesadillas with colby-jack cheese or a four-cheese blend, but all I had was mozzarella. As it turned out, that was more a deal-maker than a deal-breaker. The finished product tasted something like a mozzarella stick, only much healthier! Here is what I did:
- Spread the tortilla with a thin layer of your favorite salsa. (For us, that’s Trader Joe’s Salsa Authentica!)
- Add a generous layer of shredded mozzarella.
- Add shredded chicken pieces.
- Cover with a second tortilla.
- Brown both sides on a griddle (or using a quesadilla maker if you have one).
- Cut into eight pieces and serve with pizza sauce for dipping, or spread the pizza sauce on top. A couple of my kids used ketchup for their dipping sauce. (Our usual quesadilla condiment is sour cream, but I didn’t think it would be the right complement for this variation.)
We love homemade pizza, so when I make Paula’s Whole Wheat Bread recipe I always use a portion of it for pizza crusts. I wish I could say I keep my freezer stocked with these delicious, already-made crusts; but I don’t. One night I needed to fix supper in a hurry. Everything in my fridge shouted, “Pizza!”, but I was missing one essential ingredient…. Enter tortilla.
- Spread a thin layer of pizza sauce over your tortilla(s).
- Top with mozzarella cheese and your favorite pizza toppings.
- Cook and serve! (I used my Presto Pizzazz Pizza Oven and pumped out several small pizzas in no time.)
So you see, even when we’re low on groceries and short on time, meal success awaits us. Sometimes we just need to think outside the [Domino’s] box….